Various Difficulties That May Arise and the Points to Check.
Plant Will Not Crank, Lights Will Not Light
- Blown battery fuse.
- Open battery leads.
- Dead battery.
Plant Will Not Crank, But Lights Light
- Commutator dirty or brush arms stuck.
- Open brush lead.
- Open in armature.
- Open series field.
Plant Cranks But Will Not Run
- Spark plug fouled.
- If equipped with meter, contacts in meter open.
- Breaker points dirty.
- Condenser open or shorted.
- Contact in starter switch bad.
- Ignition coil broken down.
- No compression.
- No fuel to cylinder.
Low Output – Plant Will Not Run Up to Speed
- Back pressure in exhaust line.
- Poor compression.
- Out of time.
- Valves out of adjustment.
- Piston rings not seating.
Low Output – High Speed
- Series short switch making poor contact.
- Loose terminal connections at starting switch.
- Brush bracket out of adjustment.
Low Output – Normal Speed
- Poor ventilation.
- Generator and cover screen dirty.
- Partially shorted armature.
- Partially shorted field.
No Output – High Speed
- Open shunt field.